There are a few things you should know and have ready to provide to us in order to get your Emotional Support Animal approved by Baker Street Properties.
- You will need to fill out Baker Street's Pet Registration Form.
- You will need to have a Service Animal Certification Form. This form must be completed and signed by a licensed mental health professional.
- The Service Animal Certification Form must state that you are suffering from a disability that requires you to need a service animal in your place of residence due to your limitations in performing or participating in at least one of life’s major activities because of your disability.
- Your prescription of an Emotional Support Animal must be an integral part of the treatment of your condition.
- The ESA letter must be dated no later than a year from the date of your lease start.
- If there is any damage caused by the animal to the home at the end of the lease Baker Street will deduct money from the security deposit. If there is a nuisance issue with the animal we reserve the right to remove the animal.
As stated in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) of Mental Disorders Version IV, some disabilities include:
- Learning disorders.
- Attention Deficit Disorder also known as ADD.
- Sexual disorder.
- Mental retardation.
- Tic disorders.
- Motor skills disorders.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Gender identity.
- Substance-related disorder (alcohol and/or drugs, among others).
- Cognitive disorders.
Baker Street reserves the right to contact your licensed mental health professional for proof of signature on your Service Animal Certification Form. Baker Street will never ask, and will never be granted, access or information about your disability. That information is protected by the guidelines set by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
If you request an Emotional Support Animal without the required form or signature, Baker Street reserves the right to consider and/or reject any request for an Emotional Support Animal.